Sunday, January 23, 2011

Our History With Movies






We thought it would be fun to explore our past experiences with movies, to try and give Camp Or Crap? a little more context.

1. What is the first movie you can remember seeing?

Jasmyn: The earliest movie I can remember was Edward Scissorhands. It came out the year I was born, but I think I was four when I first saw it. I remember sitting on my living room floor, seeing that absurdly-painted neighborhood and hearing that quintessentially Tim Burton score. It was like reading a fairy tale book.

Sarah: My childhood kind of blends together in a mess of cartoons and Will Smith movies, but if we're not counting those weird kid movies about ponies and fairies, then my earliest memory has to be of The Land Before Time. I can still remember hiding under my tattered yellow blanky trying to avoid seeing the dinosaur Apocalypse that starts the film. But Ducky is awesome. Yep Yep Yep!

2. Who were your top 5 favorite actors/actresses as a child?

Jasmyn: Matthew Broderick, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, Elijah Wood and Mike Myers.

Sarah: Johnny Depp, Will Smith, Julia Roberts, Seth Green and Kirsten Dunst

3. What was the first DVD you ever bought with your own money (and VHS, if you can remember it)?

Jasmyn: The first DVD was The Cable Guy, which always makes me laugh when I watch it now because of the "DVD: The new technology!" trailer attached to the beginning. And the first VHS was The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring from the $5 rack at Wal-Mart.

Sarah: I think the first DVD I bought with my own money was My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I'm fairly certain my parents paid for all the VHSs we owned.

4. Which actors were your top 3 childhood crushes?

Jasmyn: Matthew Broderick (I'd seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and always had a soft spot because he was Simba... which is kind of messed when I think about it), Elijah Wood (he was more attainable because he was only 8 years older, and his eyes blew my mind) and Lee Thompson Young from The Famous Jett Jackson.

Sarah:
Justin Timberlake- This is totally relevant because aside from being the hottie from Nsync with the unexplainable bad hair, he was in that really bad Tyra Banks movie about models.
Shia LaBeouf - He was on Even Stevens, and was really adorable and hadn't been arrested at a Walgreens yet.
Seth Green - We all have our questionable crushes, this was definitely one of mine. I thought he was cute in Rat Race, and I've always had a thing for gingers, so it kind of ballooned into watching Rat Race way too many times, and owning the Greg the Bunny DVDs.

5. What was the first movie you can remember scaring you?

Jasmyn: The original Halloween. Michael Myers scared the s*** out of me. Still does.

Sarah: Jurassic Park. Stupid dinosaur.

6. What movie did you sneak-watch when your parents weren't home?

Jasmyn: The first time I remember doing this consciously wasn't until high school, when Sin City came out. It was on HBO or Starz On Demand or something, and Mom was elsewhere that evening. I knew about the content and made a point of waiting until she left.

Sarah: I watched Titanic at a friends house after my mother had told me it wasn't a "good idea" for me to see it. Her concern actually wasn't about Kate Winslet's breasts, but about all of the frozen dead people that still freak me out to this day. Also, I was like, 8.

7. What was the first movie that made you cry?

Jasmyn: When I was little, my empathy button was missing. My favorite part of Titanic, which I saw when I was 8, was when Jack froze to death for Rose. I first saw The Exorcist that year too, and didn't bat an eye. I didn't cry watching a movie until my freshman year of high school, when I saw Romeo + Juliet (Leo DiCaprio version).

Sarah: I can't really remember crying over a movie until the middle of high school. I'm pretty sure I cried at Cold Mountain.

8. What was the first movie you remember watching for educational content? What was the first movie you got to watch at school for no reason?

Jasmyn: We watched The Sound of Music and Annie for a music class, and I actively detested both. The first free-day movie was Star Wars: Episode IV. Hated that, too.

Sarah: I don't remember why, but we watched Rear Window in my 8th grade English class and it was wonderful. I think he was trying to teach us something about suspense? Who knows. I also saw Sandlot in class every year from 4th to 9th grade.

9. What movie did you love at the time but now understand to be terrible?

Jasmyn: The most misguided love for a movie was probably directed towards A Walk To Remember, which I spent crying alongside Shane West and thinking it was tragically epic. I even had a boyfriend who said it was his favorite movie -- red flag, much?

Sarah: Jasmyn took my answer! I loved A Walk to Remember when I first saw it, so much so that I READ THE BOOK (also, other Nicholas Sparks books. 8th grade was a rough time, folks). If you go back to our second review, you'll see all the terrible things that jumped out upon re-watching this turd of a love story. Teenagers be warned.

10. Finally, because this is what we do as a hobby now... what was the first movie that outraged you because you wasted time watching it?

Jasmyn: I felt totally betrayed by my TV after watching Resident Evil: Apocalypse. It wasn't even my idea to watch it. And, being a member of the video game community, I was saddened.

Sarah: I recently watched the shot by shot remake of Psycho. Oh, the horror. There was so much yelling (from me) and so many displeased looks (my friends looking at me) and it was all a terrible experience because pre-alien Anne Heche thought she could die convincingly. Also, Vince Vaughn was a bad choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment